Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Reformation Day!

On October 31, 1517, Martin Luther posted a proposal at the doors of a church in Wittenberg, Germany to debate the doctrine and practice of indulgences.

And so in celebration of Reformation Day, here are two of my favorite Martin Luther quotes:



"So when the devil throws your sins in your face and declares that you deserve death and hell, tell him this: "I admit that I deserve death and hell, what of it? For I know One who suffered and made satisfaction on my behalf. His name is Jesus Christ, Son of God, and where He is there I shall be also!"
- Martin Luther

"Unless I am convinced by Scripture and by plain reason and not by Popes and councils who have so often contradicted themselves, my conscience is captive to the word of God. To go against conscience is neither right nor safe. I cannot and I will not recant. Here I stand. I can do no other. God help me."
- Martin Luther


And if you haven't seen "Luther: The Movie", I must take this moment and highly recommend it (it's rated PG-13 for some violence). Here's the trailer:




God bless your week!


In Christ Alone,

Jessica

2 comments:

The Editrix said...

Mmmm, I've heard of this movie. I'd really like to see it sometime, if I can. . .

Jessica McDonald said...

You should! It is EXCELLENT! :-)

~Jess